May is the time to focus on some very important spheres; your eyes! All over the world, people are recognizing the impact eye health holds in a person’s life, and they want to spread the word. The National Eye Institute (NEI) has created an excellent resource to learn, share, and read all about your vision. Click here to visit their website or continue reading to find out more. The theme NEI has created for this year is, “My Vision of the Future.” This stresses the need to take care of your eyes now, in order to see clearly and unimpaired in the future.
My Vision of the Future
Protecting your vision now is one of the best ways to preserve your eyes for the future sights and adventures you’ll experience later in life. The NEI is especially encouraging people from ages 25-35 to take their vision health seriously, and they list several tips and tools to help people treat their eyes right:
- Wear Sunglasses: Even on cloudy days, the sun’s UV rays can affect your eyes, so always remember to rock your shades!
- Eat Eye Healthy Foods: Carrots, spinach, and fruits and vegetables, in general, are the best nutrition for your vision. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been found to help your eyes remain crystal clear.
- Being Active: Anything that increases your heart rate will aid in preventing serious eye diseases, so, walk, jog, swim, or jump and your eyes will stay in tip-top shape.
- The 20-20-20 Rule: Every 20 minutes look away from any screens or bright lights and focus about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds. It’ll reduce the strain on your sight, and result in less eye related headaches at the end of the day.
- Always Protect Your Eyes: Around 2,000 Americans get an eye-related injury just from not wearing eye protective glasses, so never leave your eyes vulnerable to harm, and wear the right protection for you.
No matter your age, your eyes are important, so make sure to take care of them all the time. Spread the word to all your friends by using the hashtag, #MyVisionMyFuture, and create a statement by saying, “I ______ now so I can see _______ in the future.” For example, “I wear sunglasses now so I can see the Eiffel Tower in the future.” This way, we can improve everyone’s vision this May. Happy Healthy Vision Month!
The National Eye Institute. (2019). Healthy Vision Month. Retrieved from https://nei.nih.gov/hvm.