November is National Family Caregivers Month! We are using November to acknowledge and appreciate family caregivers for all that they do. The Caregiver Action Network is celebrating National Family Caregivers Month with their theme, “Be Care Curious.” Be care curious by exploring all of your options while asking questions to make sure your loved one is receiving the best quality of care possible.
The Caregiver Action Network has listed several ways for you to “Be Care Curious” this November:
- Ask your loved one what their current and future goals are for receiving care and treatment. Asking gives you the insight to understand if your loved one’s goals are being met in order for them to receive the best possible care.
- Ask your loved one if there are any possible new care or treatment options they might want to try.
- Communicate with doctors, family members, and friends about any advice they may have for you to ensure you are achieving the best possible care for your loved one.
It is essential you are communicating with your loved one and their doctors to understand if their goals and needs are being met with their current and future care and treatment options. Use November to “Be Care Curious” to learn more about your loved one’s quality of care.
The Caregiver Action Network has also lists several tips for family caregivers to use during National Family Caregivers Month:
- Make sure you are seeking support from other family members and friends who might be caregivers or are offering their support. Their support will help provide you with the guidance you may need to be there for your loved one.
- Learn to communicate while asking questions with your loved one’s doctor. Asking questions will give you more insight into the process of being a family caregiver for your loved one.
- Checking in on one’s self is essential for family caregivers. Make sure you are taking breaks when needed and also exercise to help relieve any stress you may be experiencing.
- Always give yourself credit for being a family caregiver. You deserve all of the appreciation and praise for you and your hard work.
This November, share how you plan to “Be Care Curious” for National Family Caregivers Month!
10 Tips for Family Caregivers. (2019). Retrieved 8 November 2019, from https://caregiveraction.org/resources/10-tips-family-caregivers.
National Family Caregivers Month Theme. (2019). Retrieved 8 November 2019, from https://caregiveraction.org/national-family-caregivers-month-theme.