COVID-19 Recovery Unit on the Pleasantview Care Center Campus
The Legacy Health Services team has created a long-term plan to continue to provide safe and secure environments for our residents and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. As shared by the Director of the Ohio Department of Medicaid, Maureen Corcoran, Ohio has created a special licensure for nursing facilities to have specialized COVID-19 units, called Health Care Isolation Centers, or HCIC. Only 12 HCICs have been approved in the State of Ohio.
Our company has been approved by the State of Ohio to have a Healthcare Isolation Center on the third floor of Legacy Place Parma, located on the Pleasantview Care Center Campus, for the treatment of the COVID-19 positive patients. If any resident tests positive for COVID-19 in any of our Legacy Health Services facilities, they will be temporarily transferred to this unit for their care and recuperation. The ability to treat these residents in one dedicated unit has many benefits for the residents and staff.
- The risk of exposure to other residents and staff is reduced. If someone is being tested for COVID-19, the individual will be isolated to reduce the risk of viral spread while the test is pending. If the test result is positive, the person will be quickly and safely transferred to the COVID-19 Recovery Unit.
- The ability to staff the unit appropriately and optimize personal protective equipment (PPE) utilization are also improved, as all COVID-19 patients within Legacy Health Services facilities would be in one facility instead of divided among ten facilities.
- The referral process is designed to allow for a near immediate transfer should a resident test positive for COVID-19. The physical layout of the third floor allows for dedicated entrance and exit points with space to sanitize before leaving the area, so the other areas of the facility are not at risk for cross-contamination.
- The HCIC has a dedicated Certified Nurse Practitioner on-site. Like all Legacy Health Services facilities, the HCIC also utilizes the after-hours on-call Nurse Practitioner program provided through Stafford Services, which provides access to Certified Nurse Practitioners 24/7.
- Once cleared by a physician or physician extender, a resident would be able to return to our facility.
The day to day operations at the HCIC are similar to those at the other ten Legacy Health Services skilled nursing home facilities. This gives COVID-19 positive patients the peace of mind that they will continue to receive the same high-quality care that they have come to expect from their home facilities. All Legacy Health Services facilities also use the same electronic medical record system, which allows staff to coordinate smooth transitions in and out of the HCIC. The HCIC staff also provides meaningful interactions between residents and families through Skype Virtual Visitations. To schedule a Skype Virtual Visitation with a resident in our HCIC, please email PVWSpecial@gmail.com.
In the weeks and months to come, our dedication to infection control will not stop. This focus will continue through the pandemic and beyond. Our entire industry has been called to action to protect the vulnerable population we serve. We are proud to be part of the frontlines in the fight against COVID-19.